In my last article, I revealed two methods of burning CDs and DVDs in Microsoft Windows
- Through the integrated Windows burning wizard
- Through CD and DVD writing applications like Nero and Easy CD Creator
The integrated Windows burning application is adequate most of the time. But, there are some instances when a separate, 3rd-party CD writing application is necessary. Some reasons include:
- The Windows burning wizard is often very buggy
- The Windows burning wizard can’t burn DVDs
- CD writing applications provide for more advanced options and configuration
When CD-RW drives were at their infancy, the CD burning applications were generally limited to Nero and Easy CD Creator, which, by the way, cost too much money. Luckily, we have more choices today, including those that are free.
CD Burner XP Pro is one of these choices. Though, its name is a little misleading.
- For one, it doesn’t just burn CDs; it also burns DVDs.
- It’s not restricted to just Microsoft Windows XP. It will run on most other versions greater then Microsoft Windows 95.
- It does not require the knowledge or the experience of pros. Nor does it have other edition like standard, basic, or home as the name “pro” seems to imply.
Usage is very simple. Just open the program and click one of the three options:
- Data CD - Click this to write files to a normal, everyday disk
- Audio CD - Click this to create a music (audio) CD that can be played in a CD player
- Rip MP3 - This option is not really used that often (at least by me) so I won’t be covering it. Mainly, it lets you copy select portions of CDs. Personally, I like to just use ISOBuster instead.
To make a data CD, you can either drag-and-drop from a Windows explorer window
Or, you can add from the explorer-eque nested window.
Finally, click the burn icon.
Creating an audio CD is a little similar. Again, you can drag-and-drop from Windows Explorer.
Or, you can add from the explorer-like nested window.
CDBurnerXP Pro is a formidable alternative to Nero and Easy CD Creator. It beats spending so much money for such a simple application!